Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ginger's Bug Quilt

January was spent taking an online quilt course with Jenny Doane. She is with the Missouri Star Quilt Company. It was fun to take a course at my leisure. I decided to make a crazy nine patch quilt. You take nine 5"x5" pieces of fabric and sew them together with three across and three down forming a block of nine charms. Then you press them and cut the now big block in half horizontally and then vertically. You will now have four cool blocks. I then laid them out on my living room floor so that no seams matched. Laying them on the floor made me work fast because I knew my family would revolt if they were there for long. Hence I finished the layout in a day and decided this quilt would be for Ginger, my 2.5 yr old granddaughter in Texas. After much thought I decided I needed to add something to give it a child's charm. I took random blocks and replaced them with embroidered designs of bugs...it quickly became the bug quilt. Now it was perfect!
After sewing the top together, it came time to send it to the longarm quilter. I have some friends up the street who do longarm quilting so I headed to their place to see what I needed to do. I pieced the back together taking 9 fat quarters and doing with them what I had done with the small charms. Now we have a reversible quilt.

                        Here are some pictures of The Bug Quilt. 3rd down is the back of the quilt.



I decided to do a design of dragonflies for the overall quilting. It turned out beautifully! Then I did the border band attaching it by hand. Today I need to finish the label and then it is ready to send off.
Hopefully it will keep my dear little Ginger warm through the years and she will think of me when she cuddles up in it. Oh the joy of quilting!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! You did a great job. I love the bugs too, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete